Wednesday 30 March 2011

Digital Video in the Classroom

This week I read “ What the Research says about Digital Video in Teaching and Learning”. This article was very helpful for a pre service teacher as it highlighted the benefits for students and teachers of incorporating the use of  digital video in the classroom. Some of the benefits for students include: can increase student motivation and enjoyment, film-making encourages expression and creativity and making and showing DV films gives students a sense of achievement.  Some of the benefits for teachers include: DV work motivates students and keeps them on task, DV production allows for differentiation of teaching and learning and teachers can re-use DV clips and re-edit them according to the needs of their different classes. I have to admit I have many memories of using video in the classroom when I was in primary school. E.g. filming activities and excursions but prior to reading this article I have never given much thought about how and if I would ever incorporate digital video into my future classroom. But after learning about digital storytelling in class on Monday and then reading this article and discovering the many advantages for both the students and the teacher, I definitely plan to  incorporate digital video into my future classroom.

Image source: Wong, N. ( 2007). JVC GZ-HD7AH [photograph]. Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/14029705@N00/1035508924

No comments:

Post a Comment