Wednesday 9 March 2011

Computer as Paintbrush


Computer as Paintbrush: Technology, Play, and the Creative Society by Resnick, M. (2006)
This week I read Computer as Paintbrush: Technology, Play, and the Creative Society by Resnick, M. (2006). I found this reading very interesting so I thought I would write my thoughts on the article and how I would implement Resnick’s ideas into my classroom.
My thoughts on this reading
I really enjoyed this article and I found myself thoroughly agreeing with Resnick on many points. I definitely agree with the idea that a computer can play many different roles than just being a supplier of information. Modern technology and the latest software developments has meant that we can now do many more creative and fun learning experiences with a computer. Through programs such as Garage Band, Photoshop and Paint children can create with the computer instead of just interacting with it and as a result are able to learn more as they are able to use their imaginations and creativity to express themselves.
How could I Implement this as a teacher
As a teacher in the modern world, there are many opportunities to use technology to teach and to allow children to learn. Through this reading I will now be more cautious of just getting children to interact with the computer. E.g. typing or researching. I have now learnt that that it is also important to use programs that would allow children to learn through creating with computer programs. I could do this in the following ways. Firstly for a musical lesson I could get the children to make their own musical scores using garage band, this would enhance their musical skills, listening skills and allow them to express their creativity. I could also get the children to interact with Photoshop for an art lesson. Through this children could learn through interaction with the different mediums how to blend colours, edit photos and blend images, thus using their creativity and artistic expression.


Image Source: Couros, A. (2008) Child Computing [ Photograph]. Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035553780@N01/3118644319

No comments:

Post a Comment