Monday 11 April 2011

Mini-Conference Reflection

Today was a fantastic lesson in Professional Experience, listening to my fellow peers present their K-6 Educational resources. I found them all to be very interesting and all very useful resources that I will definitely use in my future classroom. One resource that really stood out to me was the Myths and Legends Storybook Creator. The Myths and Legends Storybook Creator was showcased by my fellow peer Melissa Gray. It is a storybook template where children are able to choose from a range of backgrounds, and characters and then fill the pages with speech bubbles or their own recorded voices to create a story. 

I would love to use this in my future classroom in the following ways. Firstly I think it would be great if you set it up on the Smartboard and got each student to come up and do a page, so the whole class would create a story together.  I would also love to use it in an English lesson to practice narrative writing or in a history lesson to recount an historic event or even for a maths lesson e.g. The life of  Mr. Multiplication.

I also think this is a great resource as it supports the characteristics of Jonassens Meaningful Learning. Firstly it is an active learning activity. This is where children learn through process. The children create the story themselves and input the storyline, thus they learn through active learning as they are creating the story themselves.  The activity also supports co-operative learning which is learning through working with others  and sharing skills. This would apply if the story was created together as a class on the smartboard. It also supports Paperts constuctionism as the children are learning through designing,creating and publishing their OWN stories. 

One final fanatastic aspect of the resource is that it is FREE and can be accessed HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment