Tuesday 3 May 2011

First Day of Prac- Some interesting thoughts.

Today was my first day of Prac and as expected I had the same nerves as I packed my bag to get ready to return to the classroom. I was nervous, not knowing what to expect, worrying whether the teacher would be nice and if the students would be pleased to have someone new in their classroom. I was also excited as I was going to be teaching kindergarten and so far I have only had year 5 before.


As we have been learning so much about technology in Professional Experience I was quick to search out the classroom for technology available. In the classroom there was a smartboard and 1 computer, so I am currently thinking of ideas I will be able to use them in my future lesson with KA. Throughout the day the smartboard was used, firstly to do an interactive exercise with using letterland. This involved the children listening about Red Rover Robot and then taking turns coming up to the board to find the R sounding objects on the smart board. This was a fun activity for the children as the R sounding objects would do a little dance once they had been spotted- which the children really enjoyed. 


An interesting conversation I overheard in the staffroom was listening to another teacher complain about her disdain for computer lessons as so many things happen that makes it impossible for a lesson to be completed. Some of her complaints were problems with login and computers not working. It was really interesting listening to her discussion and I did agree with her on some points. I do think computers need to be better utilised in schools but to do this they need to made easier to access e.g. working computers and simple login processes. She also made the point she would prefer if there was a proper computer teacher that the students were sent of to do computing with. Her reasoning was that the computer teacher would be professionally trained who would now how to fix problems and also would be able to properly monitor the computers to ensure they were all working constantly thus avoiding the earlier problems. These were intersting thoughts that I thought were worth noting. I dont really know if i agree with her, i think there could be advantages to having a proper computer teacher but i do also think that the class teacher should use computers with their students.

Overall I had a great first day, however I am a little concerned about how I am going to do an ICT related lesson with my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment